Buffon break down in tears to announce his retirement as Italy fails to qualify for World Cup since 1958 (Details, pics)

The legendary goalkeeper confirmed post-game that the second-leg disappointment against Sweden was his final match for the Azzurri.

Gianluigi Buffon has confirmed his retirement from international play after Italy's failure to qualify for the 2018 World Cup.

The legendary goalkeeper had previously indicated his intent to step away from the Azzurri following the tournament in Russia, but Italy were eliminated from contention for the World Cup with a 0-0 second-leg draw with Sweden, who advanced on aggregate following a 1-0 win in the first leg.
"I'm sorry, not just for me, because sooner or later it would have happened, but I didn't wish this was my last game with Italy," Buffon said on RAI TV .

I'm sorry, not just for me, because sooner or later it would have happened, but I didn't wish this was my last game with Italy," Buffon said on RAI TV .
"[Manager Gian Piero] Ventura is not the only one to blame. We are all guilty and responsible for that: football is like that."

No comments