I quit boxing when a Delta boy battered my face – Comic actor, Mr Ibu (Details, pics)

Nollywood actor, John Okafor, aka Mr Ibu, is a popular actor who is loved by many. His comical roles give many reasons to smile. He speaks with reporters about life, fame and others.

What are some of the most memorable experiences you can recall from your childhood?

Things were hard for me as a child. My parents were not rich, and we lived from hand to mouth. I remember that we used to eat only once a day, but we did not let it affect our educational pursuits. All these are still fresh in my memory. But today, the story is different.

While going through hard times, what were your dreams and hopes for the future?

I was actually determined to develop myself generally and hone the skills I had. I eventually studied Mass Communication. Even though I’m not practising that actively, I believe I’m still communicating with my job as an actor. Before then, I tried my hands on different jobs. I was once a butcher, hairdresser and many other things.

What schools did you attend?

For my elementary education, I attended Community Central School, Ezeogu-Amure in Enugu. For my post-elementary education, I went to Sapele Technical College, Sapele, in Delta State. Then I proceeded to the Institute of Management and Technology, Enugu, where I studied Mass Communication. However, I am still not satisfied with my educational attainment because one can never know it all; you have to keep learning. If former President Olusegun Obasanjo could go to the National Open University after his tenure, then, that should tell you that education is a never-ending process. I still have plans to return to school.

What stirred your interest in acting?

I was interested in watching soap operas and that was what inspired me. In 1978, I played cameo roles in a TV series, even though my face was not shown; but it was a big achievement for me then. Immediately after that, I decided to devote more time to acting. I started acting officially on December 3, 1978, in Benin.

What are some of the funny experiences you have had with fans?

It is funny but serious. As an actor, I know that my fans love me so much. I have often walked into crowds of people hailing me while some people were busy giving me knocks on my head. In such instances, I have to run away from them.

What do you enjoy most about being an actor?

Fame is so sweet; it’s like power. You will always meet people who love you and those who hate you. However, a higher percentage of people love me.

What’s the most memorable thing a fan has done to you?

That happened in Italy. A female fan ran to me on stage, held me and started crying. In Abuja, a policeman told me that after meeting me, he could then die in peace. According to the officer, he had always prayed that God should make him to meet me. I told him I appreciated his love, and that he would not die; at least, not now. I am always meek and when I hear such things, I know that they are coming from my real fans.

What has fame cost you?

Fame has not cost me anything. Rather, it has done a lot for me. I appreciate everything about acting.

If you weren’t an actor, what other profession would you have chosen?

You’re looking for trouble now. Anyway, I would have been a boxer. I used to be a boxer. I was doing well until I went for a championship in Delta State. The boy I fought with was an idiot; he gave me a beating I would never forget. That boy changed my face and made me hate anything that had to do with gloves. After the fight, I looked in the mirror and I could not even recognise myself. I could see with only one eye for sometime due to the punches he dealt me. That was the incident that made me quit boxing.

No comments